This post may contain affiliate links from which I may earn a commission without any cost to you. Read our policy for details.
Cash App is a popular app that allows users to send and receive money instantly. It is convenient, fast, and easy to use. However, with any digital transaction, there is always a risk of scams.
Scammers may try to trick you into sending them money or giving them your personal information. If you fall victim to a scam on Cash App, you may wonder how to get your money back.
This article will explain how to get money back on Cash App if scammed. I will also provide some tips on how to avoid Cash App scams and what legal recourse options you have if scammed.
The critical point is to act quickly and contact Cash App support immediately. You may also request a refund on Cash App, but the outcome depends on the situation.
But before that, if you are still not using Cash App, here is your chance to get $5 free instantly and hundreds of dollars down the line if you follow my advice here on how to get free money on Cash App.
Understanding Cash App Scams
Cash App scams are schemes that aim to steal your money or information through Cash App. There are different types of Cash App scams, but some of the most common ones are:
- Fake customer service scams: Scammers may pose as Cash App customer service agents and ask you to provide your login details, verification code, PIN, or other sensitive information. They may also ask you to send them money as a fee for resolving an issue or unlocking your account.
- Payment request scams: Scammers may send you a payment request with a fake name, photo, or description. They may claim to be someone you know, a charity, a seller, or a service provider. They may also use phishing links or QR codes to redirect you to a fake website or app.
- Investment scams: Scammers may promise you high returns or rewards for investing in a scheme or product through Cash App. They may ask you to send them money upfront or provide your bank account details.
- Sweepstakes scams: Scammers may claim that you have won a prize or a giveaway through Cash App. They may ask you to pay a fee or taxes before claiming your prize.
If you encounter any of these scenarios, you should be cautious and skeptical. Some signs that you might be dealing with a scammer are:
- They contact you from an unverified phone number, email address, or social media account.
- They pressure you to act quickly or threaten you with consequences.
- They ask you to share your personal or financial information.
- They ask you to send them money outside of Cash App or through another app.
- They offer you deals that sound too good to be true.
Immediate Steps to Take if Scammed
If you realize that you have been scammed on Cash App, you should take immediate action to minimize the damage and increase the chances of retrieving your money. Here are some steps to take as soon as possible:
1. Cancel the payment
If the payment is still pending, you can cancel it by tapping on the activity tab in the app and selecting the payment. Then tap on the three dots icon and choose “Cancel Payment”.
This will stop the money from leaving your account and prevent the scammer from receiving it. If the payment is completed, you will not be able to cancel it.
However, you can still try to request a refund from the scammer or contact Cash App support for help.
2. Change your password and PIN
To prevent unauthorized access to your account, you should change your password and PIN in the app settings.
You should also enable security features such as face ID, touch ID, or SMS verification. This will add an extra layer of protection to your account and make it harder for scammers to hack into it.
You should also change your passwords and PINs for any other accounts or apps that you linked to Cash App, such as your bank account or debit card.
3. Report the scammer & Transaction to Cash App
You should report the scammer to Cash App by tapping on the activity tab in the app and selecting the payment. Then tap on the three dots icon and choose “Report this Transaction”.
This will alert Cash App about fraudulent activity and help them track down the scammer. You can also report the scammer’s phone number, email address, or social media account to the relevant platforms.
This will help them block or suspend the scammer’s account and prevent them from scamming more people.
4. Contact your bank
If you linked your bank account or debit card to Cash App, you should contact your bank and inform them about the scam.
You may be able to dispute the charge or block further transactions from Cash App. This will help you recover your money or prevent more losses.
You should also check your bank statements regularly and report any unauthorized or suspicious charges to your bank.
5. Dispute the transaction
If you paid with a credit card, you may be able to dispute the transaction with your card issuer. You can contact them and explain what happened and provide any evidence of fraud.
They may initiate a chargeback process and reverse the transaction if they find it fraudulent. This will help you get your money back or avoid paying for a charge that you did not authorize.
However, this process may take some time and may require some paperwork.
6. Freeze your credit
If you suspect that your identity has been compromised by a scammer who has access to your personal information, you may want to freeze your credit reports with the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
This will prevent anyone from opening new accounts in your name without your permission. You can request a free credit freeze online or by phone with each bureau. You will need to provide some personal information to freeze or unfreeze your credit reports.
It is important to act quickly because once the money leaves your account, it is very difficult to get it back. Cash App transactions are instant and irreversible, so there is no guarantee that you will receive a refund.
Contacting Cash App Support
You can contact them through the app or the website. Here is how:
- Through the app: Tap on the profile icon in the app and scroll down to “Cash Support”. Then tap on “Something Else” and select the issue that best describes your situation. Follow the instructions on the screen and tap on “Contact Support”.
- Through the website: Go to https://cash.app/help and scroll down to “Contact Support”. Log in with your phone number or email address and select the issue that best describes your situation. Follow the instructions on the screen and click on “Contact Support”.
When contacting Cash App support, you should provide as much information as possible about the scam, such as:
- The date and time of the transaction
- The amount and currency of the transaction
- The name and $Cashtag of the scammer
- The phone number, email address, or social media account of the scammer
- The reason for sending or receiving money
- Any screenshots or proof of communication with the scammer
You should also explain what steps you have taken so far and what outcome you are expecting. Be polite and respectful when communicating with Cash App support.
Cash App support will review your case and get back to you within 24 hours. They may ask you for more details or evidence before making a decision. They may also contact the scammer or their bank to try to reverse the transaction.
However, there is no guarantee that Cash App support will be able to retrieve your money.
The outcome depends on various factors such as:
- The type and nature of the scam
- The status and location of the transaction
- The cooperation of the scammer and their bank
- The policies and regulations of Cash App and other financial institutions
Cash App support will inform you of their decision via email or phone call. If they are able to retrieve your money, they will credit it back to your account within ten business days.
Requesting a Refund on Cash App
Another option is to request a refund on Cash App directly from the scammer. This may work if the scammer is willing to cooperate or if they made a mistake. Here is how to request a refund on Cash App:
- Tap on the activity tab in the app and select the payment.
- Tap on the three dots icon and choose “Request Refund”.
- Enter a reason for requesting a refund and tap on “Request”.
The scammer will receive a notification that you have requested a refund. They can either accept or decline your request within 60 days.
If they accept your request, they will send back the money to your account within 10 business days.
If they decline your request, they will keep the money and you will not receive a refund.
Your request will expire If they do not respond within 60 days, and you will not receive a refund.
You can check the status of your refund request by tapping on the activity tab in the app and selecting the payment.
Tips to Avoid Cash App Scams
The best way to avoid losing money on Cash App scams is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some tips on how to avoid Cash App scams:
- Only send money to people you know and trust.
- Verify the identity of anyone who contacts you claiming to be from Cash App or another company.
- Never share your personal or financial information with anyone over phone, email, text message, or social media.
- Never pay fees or taxes before receiving a prize or reward.
- Never click on links or scan QR codes from unknown sources.
- Review your transaction history regularly and report any suspicious activity.
- Enable security features such as face ID, touch ID, SMS verification, etc.
- Keep your app updated with the latest version.
By following these tips, you can protect yourself from falling victim to scams on Cash App.
Legal Recourse Options
If none of the above options work for getting your money back on Cash App if scammed, you may consider taking legal action against the scammer. However, this may be costly and time-consuming.
Some legal recourse options are:
- Filing a complaint with local law enforcement: You can report the scammer’s details and evidence of fraud to local police authorities. They may investigate your case and pursue criminal charges against them.
- Filing a complaint with federal agencies: You can report online frauds involving financial transactions to federal agencies such as FTC (Federal Trade Commission), CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau), IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center), etc. They may take action against scammers who violate consumer protection laws.
- Filing a lawsuit: You can sue the scammer in civil court for damages caused by their fraudulent actions. You may need legal advice from an attorney before proceeding with this option.
However, these legal recourse options may not guarantee that you will get your money back. The scammer may be difficult to identify, locate, or prosecute. They may also have transferred or spent your money already.
Therefore, it is advisable to exhaust all other options before resorting to legal action.
Final Thoughts On What To Do If You Get Scammed
Cash App scams are common and can cause significant financial losses for users who fall prey to them. However, there are ways to get money back on Cash App if scammed.
Act quickly and contact Cash App support as soon as possible. You may also request a refund directly from the scammer if they are willing to cooperate.
Additionally, you should follow some tips to avoid Cash App scams in the future and protect yourself from fraud.
I hope this article has helped you understand how to get money back on Cash App if scammed and what steps to take if you encounter a scam.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Cash App scams and how to get money back on Cash App if scammed.
How long does it take to get money back on Cash App if scammed?
The time it takes to get money back on Cash App if scammed depends on the situation and the method you use. Here are some estimates:
- If you cancel the payment before it is completed, you will get your money back instantly.
- If you contact Cash App support and they are able to retrieve your money, you will get your money back within 10 business days.
- If you request a refund directly from the scammer and they accept your request, you will get your money back within 10 business days.
- If you dispute the transaction with your bank or card issuer, you will get your money back within 30 to 90 days.
- If you take legal action against the scammer, you will get your money back depending on the outcome of the case.
Can I get my money back on Cash App if I sent it to the wrong person?
If you sent money to the wrong person on Cash App by mistake, you may be able to get your money back by requesting a refund from them. However, this depends on whether they are willing to cooperate or not. If they accept your refund request, they will send the money back to your account within ten business days. If they decline or ignore your request, they will keep the money, and you will not receive a refund.
You can also contact Cash App support and explain what happened. They may try to contact the recipient and ask them to return the money. However, there is no guarantee that they will be able to do so.
Therefore, it is important to double-check the name and $Cashtag of the person before sending money on Cash App.
Sumeet is a Certified Financial Education Instructor℠ (CFEI®) and the founder of Dollarsrise. He has been writing about earning extra cash online from his personal experiences for the last four years and his work has been quoted in top finance websites like Yahoo! Finance, GOBankingRates, CNBC, and more. Follow this website to learn easy and real-life hacks to raise your pile of dollars.